Maybe until now not many people know much less know this one term. Yet without realizing it in this modern era, almost all life can not be separated from the use of databases, for example storing communication data in social media, storing customer data in banks, population data, government services and many more.
Database or in terms the Indonesian language called database is a collection of data stored in a structured manner so that it is easily accessed to search for data information or solve existing problems.
Generally databases are stored in computer devices but can also still use archives or hardcopy as a data storage medium (file storage). But in this article the author will focus more on the explanation of database functions commonly used in computers.
Beginning of the Emergence of Database
Database currently plays an important role in almost all aspects in almost all aspects life. Even ordinary people who do not know this term also unconsciously involve the use of databases in their work or daily activities. History records that the database began to be used after the era of manual processing and file processing. This system uses paper and is arranged in neatly arranged file shelves.
The emergence of the DBMS itself began in the early 1960s in a company called General Electric and was spearheaded by someone named Charles Bachman . At that time the name was called the Integrated Data Store (Integrated Data Storage).
And in the late 1960s IBM began developing an Information Management System (Information Management System) or commonly called a DBMS. This is the beginning of the popularity of the Database Management System.
The formation of the IMS (Information Management System) comes from the representation of data in the framework and is called the hierarchical data. At the same time this system was developed by IBM in collaboration with an American airline and was called SABER. This system gives access to the user to be able to open the same data through a computer network.
Usability and Function of Database
Given its vital role it is not surprising that the database has many function or usability. One of the real proofs is the existence of Google with its information that is worldwide and seems to be endless, and Facebook which has users almost all over the world.
Even on YouTube channels the data is stored in the form of media (video) so it takes up a lot of space. , but as many videos are uploaded there are almost no interruptions at all. This is because database utilization is done well and is very effective.
By understanding the above functions, the authors hope that readers can respond positively to the existence of the database and make the most of it. Not only someone who likes the world of technology must know this, but the wider community as well. Among the many database functions, we will peel them together with their explanations below:
- The use of a database can make it easier for users to group data so that it is easily identified. This is very important considering the use of data that is certainly in large quantities but wants to find one specific data quickly and accurately. For example, the database system in a bank must have the data of each customer along with the information that was written when registering. To find information from one of the many customers who register will certainly have difficulties if there are no groupings in the database.
- Avoiding duplicate or duplicate data, this is certainly also the most background for the development of the database to date. Because the more data stored, the greater the possibility of duplicate data, given the user is also certainly more than one. This can be overcome with one of the features of the database such as Primary Key which makes one of the categories unique (it cannot be the same as other data).
- Makes it easier for users to add, change data, and delete. By giving authority to other accounts besides the administrator, it will certainly be more effective in processing data. Not only making data, the wrong data editing process or even deleting some data can also be done. This term is often called CRUD (Create, Read, Update and Delete). This function must also be taken into account in order to keep limits on all accounts according to the authority previously set.
- Maintaining the security of data and information stored. This security function actually still has many gaps since the computer used can also experience interference at any time. But now there is a backup technology that can give users more peace compared to storing data in the form of archives because it is far more vulnerable.
- Tackling the problem of space commonly experienced by manual data storage. The use of large amounts of paper will certainly take up a lot of space and is certainly difficult to find information. However, after moving paper data into a database it would be far more practical and only take up less space in computers . But still the use of data in paper can not be ignored, this is evident in almost all companies must take the space to archive data from year to year even though the computer is also there.
- The use of databases can also support applications that require very large amounts of data. , even from all over the world. This was mentioned above as in social media applications that are currently very popular. The use of social media certainly includes user data or communication data in almost the entire world and will be used continuously – 19659021] That is an explanation of the database functions that need to be known. Hopefully the above article is easy to understand and don't forget to share if useful!