Intel officially launched Comet Lake processors last August with Y-series (4.5-5.5W TDP) and U-Series (15W TDP) targeting 2-in-1 hybrid laptops and tablets. Since several Windows 10 Comet Lake laptops launched such as OneMix 3Pro 8.4″ mini laptop with an Intel Core i5-10210Y Comet Lake-Y processor.
If you’d rather get a Comet Lake laptop running Linux, System76 got you covered with two models, namely Galago Pro and Darter Pro laptops running a choice of Pop!_OS 19.10 (64-bit), Pop!_OS 18.04 LTS (64-bit), or Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (64-bit) operating systems, as well as System76 open firmware based on Coreboot, EDK2, and System76 firmware apps.
Galago Pro & Darter Pro share many of the same specifications, except for the display, battery, and other items highlighted in bold:
- SoC (one of the other)
- Intel Core i5-10210U quad-core/eight-thread processor @ 1.6 GHz / 3.9 GHz (turbo all cores) / 4.2 GHz (turbo one core), 24EU Intel UHD graphics; 6MB Cache; 15W TDP
- Intel Core i7-10510U quad-core/eight-thread processor @ 1.8 GHz / 4.3 GHz (turbo all cores) / 4.9 GHz (turbo one core); 24EU Intel UHD graphics; 8MB Cache; 15W TDP
- System Memory – Up to 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 @ 2666 MHz
- Galago Pro – Up to 6TB M.2 SSD, 2.5″ 7mm height drive; SD card reader
- Darter Pro – Up to 2TB M.2 SATA or PCIe NVMe SSD; SD card reader
- Galago Pro – 14.1″ matte display with 1920×1080 resolution
- Darter Pro – 15.6″ matte display with 1920×1080 resolution
- Video Output – HDMI, MiniDP
- Galago Pro – Stereo Speakers, Mic, Headphone Jack, Mic Jack, 5.1 channel (HDMI)
- Darter Pro – Stereo Speakers, Mic, 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Microphone), 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Microphone/ S/PIDF Optical) , 5.1 channel (HDMI)
- Camera – 720p HD Webcam
- Networking – Gigabit Ethernet, Intel Wireless-AC, Bluetooth 5
- USB – 1x USB 3.1 Type-C with Thunderbolt 3, 2x USB 3.1 Type-A ports, Darter Pro only: 1 x USB 2.0
- User Input – Multitouch touchpad, backlit chiclet US QWERTY keyboard
- Security – Disabled ME (Intel Management Engine), Kensington Lock
- Galago Pro – 35.3 Wh Li-Ion battery
- Darter Pro – 54.5 Wh Li-Ion battery
- Power Supply
- Galago Pro – 40W, AC-in 100–240 V, 50–60 Hz
- Darter Pro – 65W, AC-in 100–240 V, 50–60 Hz
- Dimensions & Weight
- Galago Pro – 330 x 225 x 18 mm; 1.3 kg
- Darter Pro – 360.4 x 244.6 x 19.8 mm; 1.6 kg
Pop_OS! is System76 Linux distributions based on Ubuntu LTS, optimized for their hardware, and with a focus on privacy as for example, encryption is enabled by default. With that in mind, System76 also disabled Intel Management Engine (IME) and wrote open-source firmware based on Coreboot whose code can be found here. Beside better security, boot times are said to be 29% faster. However as pointed out by Phoronix, the “open-source firmware” still relies on some binary blobs provided by Intel.
System76 has started taking pre-orders for the two Comet Lake Linux laptops with Galago Pro going for $949 and up, and Darter Pro for $999 and up. Orders are customizable, and depending on accessories and options your total cost can add up to over $3,000. For example, there’s a UK keyboard option that adds $119 to the cost, which makes me feel keyboard stickers or covers are not that bad after all ;).
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
>> Source Link