North Sumatra Province is ranked 2 with a large population after West Java, the capital of Medan. Hearing the word North Sumatra instantly that comes to our mind is the Batak tribe. Batak tribe is the largest occupant in this province (indigenous tribes) who live in North Sumatra.
Some tribes that still exist in northern Sumatra include Batak, Karo, Simalungun, Melayu, Mandailing and Pak-Pak tribes. The tribes also have their own characteristics.
North Sumatra Traditional House and Its Distinctive Characteristics
Speaking of ethnic characteristics in North Sumatra province, this time will discuss about traditional houses in North Sumatra, what are the things? Yuk see!
1. Rumah Bolon
This Bolon house is usually called the Balai Rumah of Toba Batak. This traditional house has been recognized by the National as a symbol of the traditional house of North Sumatra.
If viewed from its shape, this traditional house is rectangular and is categorized as a back home. To build this traditional house even the materials used were almost entirely made from natural materials.
The Bolon traditional house is usually inhabited by 4-6 families. Bolon traditional house has a bottom underneath which aims for a place where pet domestic animals like chickens, goats and pigs live.
Characteristics of Bolon traditional house:
- It has a horse-like saddle roof and seems very high.  The walls are short
- Does not have a ceiling
- The top of the wall is very interesting because it is decorated with various placards.
- The top of the entrance is a photo of Grog or animals. Such as paintings of lizards or buffalo or lizard motifs. this painting is usually black, red and white. The lizard motif is a symbol of the Batak people who have a strong sense of brotherhood while the image of a buffalo is a symbol of gratitude.
2. Traditional House of Karo
The Karo traditional house is called Siwaluh Jabu, which means the house is occupied by eight families, each of which has its own role in this karo house . The karo family house is generally based on adat karo.
Karo traditional house consists of Jabu Jahe usually referred to as "downstream" and Jabu Julu called "upstream". Jabu Jahe is divided into two parts, namely Jabu and the house of the wooden end and Jabu ujung kayu.
Characteristics of the Karo Traditional House:
- Consisting of 8 rooms
- Consisting of 4 kitchens
- again into two so that some jabu-jabu are formed. Among them are sedapuren bena kayu, sedapuren wood end, sedimenten lepar bena kayu, and jabu sadapuren lepar kayu edge.
3. Pakpak Traditional House
This Pakpak or Dairi traditional house has a very unique and unique name. Dairi Regency and Pakpak Bharat were once the same district.
However, Pakpak Bharat was divided into two districts. The Pakpaak tribe's own traditional house has the name Jerro. In general, this traditional house uses stairs and pillars as well as other 1945 traditional houses in North Sumatra.
Characteristics of Pakpak Traditional Houses:
- Has a distinctive form
- Traditional house This is made of wood
- The roof is made of palm fiber
4. Traditional House from Mandailing
This traditional house can be found in the Mandailing Natal (Madina) area. The Mandailing tribe is located in the province of North Sumatra, close to the province of Riau.
The Mandailing Natal area is famous for its natural attractions that are very fascinating and very beautiful. Culture that is owned and local wisdom that is so closely held by the local population. The Mandailing Natal community is also a population inhabited by people who are predominantly Muslim.
For that, if you are curious to see the Mandailing traditional house, you can see it in the area of Madina Regency (Mandailing Natal) located in the South Tapanuli Regency and Padang Lawas Regency. This traditional house has a regional name, Bagas Godang. The meaning of Bagas in the regional language there (Mandailing) is home while the godang means a lot.
5. Malay Traditional Houses
Malay Customary Houses can be found in Medan City Deli Serdang Regency. Langkat Regency, Batu Bara Regency, Labuhan Regency and Serdang Begadai District (Sergei) and Tebing Tinggi.
This Malay traditional house has a very important contribution to Medan because it is the third largest city in the archipelago. The Deli Melayu traditional house has the characteristics of yellow and green, the walls and floors of the traditional house are made of boards while the roof is made of palm fiber.
6. Nias Traditional House
Nias Traditional House, commonly called "Omo Hada" is a traditional stage house. In addition there is also a traditional nias house called "Omo Sebua".
Omo Hada and Omo Sebua have different designs. Omo Sebua is home to the residence of the head of state (tuhenori), head of the village (salawa) or the nobility. This house can be entered through a narrow staircase and a small door above it.
Characteristics of a Nias Traditional House "Omo Sebua":
- Built on high and large wooden nibung poles
- This traditional house is based on Rumbia  In the North, East and West Nias area the design of the house is rounded, while in the Central and South Nias areas it is rectangular.
- The building of this house has no financial foundation connected to the ground.
- The connection between the framework is not wearing nails
- Resistant to earthquake shaking.
- The shape of the roof is steep and can reach up to 16 meters.
7. Angkola Traditional House
Angkola Traditional House is different from the others because it includes houses that stand alone. This traditional house is commonly referred to as Rumah Godang like a traditional Mandailing house.
But this traditional house clearly has a difference. This house is usually used for inauguration and other events, its members must wear traditional custom clothing.
Characteristics of Angkola traditional house:
- The roof of this house is made of palm fiber, while the walls and floors are made of boards
- The color of this house is dominantly black, so it looks special.
8. Simalungun Traditional House
Simalungun Traditional House is located in Simalungun Regency and Pematang Siantar city which is an ethnic group. This traditional house is also called a bolon house and has a unique difference from the others. The shape of the roof is designed like a pyramid / pyramid.
A woman who struggles to live happily with her family without others knows her social status