Do you know what is meant by map words? Judging from the origin of the word, the word map is taken from the English word, namely map . Whereas in Greek, the word map becomes mappa. Where mappa means tablecloth or can be referred to as a cloth which covers the table.
However, the definition of map is actually generally a description of all or part of the surface of the earth formed on a flat plane is then minimized using a certain scale. A study that discusses maps is called cartography, and while people who have jobs making a map are often referred to as cartographs.
Maps have also been known to humans since BC. An object that is very historic and has a relationship with the making of a map that is an object shaped like a clay plate from the heritage of the Chinese, Babylonians and Egyptians. We can also witness these objects in museums in the United States, namely Semit Harvard.
To better understand what is meant by Peta, you can refer to several definitions of maps according to some experts below. Here are some definitions of maps according to some experts:
1. According to Aryono Prihandito
Aryono Prihandito thinks that the understanding of maps is a picture of the surface of the earth that has a certain scale and can also be described in a flat field using a special projection system. Aryono Prihandito is also an expert on cartography in Indonesia and he has also produced many maps.
Erwin Raisz thinks that the understanding of a map is a conventional gamabran from the appearance of the earth's surface and then reduced to its original appearance when seen vertically from above , maps are also made in a flat field and also equipped with writings as explanations.
The Geospatial Information Agency or often referred to as BIG assumes that the understanding of maps is a vehicle that can store and present data with condusu an environment that can be used for planners as well as taking a piece of paper to enhance development.
Soetarjo Soerjosumarmo thinks that the definition of a map is an image that uses ink and describes the whole or part of the earth's surface, then minimizes and compared to using a measure that is often called the level or scale.
Wikipedia considers that the meaning of a map is a gamabran from the surface in a flat field using a certain scale and has passed through the projection system. Maps can also be presented in all different ways, from conventional maps that have been printed to digital maps that can be displayed via a screen from a computer.
Map function[1945mapfunction” width=”600″ height=”350″/>
Map also has several functions that can be useful for humans, among others, such as below:
- Maps function to be able to show the extent and distance and direction of a place on the surface of the earth. where previously the survey had been conducted to be able to find out a condition from the area which would later be investigated.
- The map serves to be able to present a data about the potential of a region or region.
- Maps function to be used as a useful tool for obtaining a conclusion.
- Maps function to be used as a useful tool for learning a relationship that reciprocity between phenomena or symptoms of geography on this earth.
- The map function to be able to shows the location and the position of a place on the face of the earth.
- Map works to be able to describe some of the forms that exist on the face of the earth, for example, countries, continents, rivers, mountains, and other forms.
- The map serves to be able to present a data about the potential of an area.  The map functions to be used as a useful tool explaining the plan to be proposed.
Map Elements[1945elements” width=”600″ height=”305″/>
In a map it must be made as clear as possible, so that the reader the map will not get lost when reading it. Therefore, the map also has elements that can clarify it. the following are 10 map elements :
The title on a map is very important. Because the title is an identity on a map. The title is placed in the upper right corner, or it can also be placed on the part where people are usually easier to see.
2. Wind direction
The direction of the wind is the most important component on a map. Because with the direction of the wind a map reader can know which direction north, south, east, and also west. Usually the direction of the wind is often symbolized as an arrow and is represented by the letter U which is a clue from the north.
3. Year and source of manufacture
The year of manufacture of a map is closely related to the condition of the factual conformity between the actual state and the data already described on a map. While the source is that it can show the accuracy and validity of data from a map.
4. Astronomical Line
An astronomical line is a line that can indicate an astronomical location in a region. Astronomical lines can also be divided into two parts, namely longitude and also latitude.
5. Color on the map
Color on the map is an attraction for displaying on a map. Not only that, color can also be a symbol used on a map to be able to convey a message. The use of these colors is also intended to be able to show some differences in topography on this earth.
The inset is a small map on a main map, and the location of the inset is at the bottom of a map. The function of this inset can be divided into 3, namely to be a location guide, as an explanation. and as a connector.
The scale serves to be able to show a comparison of the actual area with the area that has been drawn on a map. The scale is also denoted by symbol 1: the other number, the greater the number in the scale, the greater the area that has been described on a map.
Legend is a collection of information that can be seen on a map, which is useful for describing certain symbols. Another function of legend is that users can better understand the symbols contained in a map and what the symbols mean.
A symbol is a component of a map that is useful for conveying a message from a cartograph to a map reader.
Leterring is a writing that is useful to reinforce the purpose or maximal of a symbol on the map.
types of maps ” width=”600″ height=”415″/>
Types of a map can be divided into 3 parts, as follows:
1. Type of map seen from its shape
Type of map seen from its shape is also divided into 3 things, namely:
- Relief maps or arising ; This map is made in a 3-dimensional manner, of which this map will be very similar to the shape of the real surface of the earth.
- Digital map ; This map is in the manufacturing process using only computers. Data from the appearance of the earth on a map are also stored on a memory on the computer, and bida is also stored on a flashdisk and external hard drive.
- Planimetric maps or flat maps ; This map is a map that was deliberately made on a flat plane, for example on a canvas, paper, plywood, or even cloth.
2. Type of map viewed from scale
Type of map seen from its scale is also divided into 5 things, namely:
- Small-scale map ; Small-scale maps usually have a scale of 1: 500.001 to 1: 1,000,000. Now this map has also been used to be able to describe a region that has a large area.
- Large-scale map ; Large-scale maps usually have a scale size of 1: 5001 to 1: 250,000, this map is also often used to describe small areas of money territory.
- Geographical maps : This map has more scale sizes from 1: 1,000,000. On this map it is also useful to describe a group of countries.
- Medium-scale maps ; This map has a scale size of 1: 250.001 to 1: 500,000. This map is also useful for describing areas that have a slightly wider area.
- [1945CadastreMap ; This map has a scale size of 1: 100 up to 1: 5000. On this map it is also useful to be able to describe the area of land that is in the house certificate.
3. Type of map seen from its contents
This type of map is usually referred to as a general map, which can describe the whole or part of the surface of the earth in general, can be seen from natural or artificial sightings of humans. This general map is also divided into 3 types of maps, namely the map of the world, the map of the chronography, and the topographic map.
Thus is the discussion about the definition of maps and some important things contained in them. Hopefully this article can be useful and add insight to you all.
Nesabamedia.com is an online media that presents interesting content about computers, internet, networks, android, websites and several other topics related to computer world.