LineageOS, which is one of the most popular Custom ROMs running on thousands of devices around the world just got an upgrade to the latest version of Android. Now, as far as the latest version of Android is concerned, we have known that the Android 8.0 Oreo update was released and has already been rolled out by Google in the third quarter of 2017. Also, we have seen that the incremental update also termed as maintenance release on top of Android 8.0 Oreo was released by Google which has been named as Android 8.1 Oreo. Therefore, it is time that LineageOS also came out with its own builds that are based on the latest version of Android and the LineageOS team has done exactly the same.
As far as supporting the latest version of Android is concerned, LineageOS team already announced earlier that the latest builds released by them will be based on Android 8.1 Oreo rather than Android 8.0 Oreo as the latest version of Android is Android 8.1 and there is no point in rolling out the latest builds with a previous version of Android as it will take more time to update those builds to update to the latest version once again.
Now, as far as the latest builds of LineageOS are concerned, they are named as LineageOS 15.1 builds and are based on the latest version of Android which is currently available that is Android 8.1 Oreo. As far as the LineageOS 15.1 builds are concerned, we would like to mention that the list of devices with LineageOS 15.1 builds are limited to a few devices due to the fact that the LineageOS team is working on an independent basis and the latest builds are released on a bi-weekly basis as well instead of the nightly release of the CyanogenMod builds.
Apart from that, it is worth noting that you might find unofficial builds based on LineageOS 15.1 for your devices as they are not supported by LineageOS officially yet. Thus, you need to make sure that the unofficial builds are stable enough for daily usage and you can safely install them on your phone if found to be stable.
As far as the features of LineageOS 15.1 are concerned, the team behind LineageOS has combined all the features from Android 8.0 Oreo as well as Android 8.1 Oreo along with all the features from previous builds of LineageOS and combined them in this latest builds. Also, as we mentioned earlier, the LineageOS 15.1 builds are currently available for a limited number of devices only and we have attached the list of devices officially supported by LineageOS 15.1 below. Apart from that, we will also make sure to update this list with more devices as soon as they are officially supported by LineageOS 15.1
List of LineageOS 15.1 supported devices
You may also like: How to Monitor Battery Health on Android
- First of all, you need to unlock the bootloader on your phone and install a custom recovery in order to install LineageOS 15.1 on your device. In order to unlock bootloader and install twrp, you need to visit our guides to do the same for your current smartphone from here.
- Also, you should take a complete backup of your smartphone’s data before installing LineageOS 15.1 on your device.
- Make sure to have at least 50% or more battery on your device before starting the installation process.
Steps to install LineageOS 15.1 on officially supported devices
- First of all, make sure to follow the Prerequisites steps properly and continue with the LineageOS 15.1 installation steps once completed.
- Afte that, download the LineageOS 15.1 build for your device from the List of LineageOS 15.1 supported devices section above
- Once the ROM has been downloaded, download the GApps from the Download Links section above for Android 8.1 devices.
- Now, if you are already on a LineageOS 14.1 ROM then you do not need to wipe data and factory reset your device before installation of LineageOS 15.1. However, if you are Non-LineageOS builds then you will have to factory reset your entire device before installation
- Now, enter recovery mode on your device by turning off your device and long-pressing Power+Volume Down button for 3-5 seconds.
- Once in TWRP recovery, you have to select the Install option and select the downloaded ROM as well as GApps file and swipe to install this zips one by one.
- Once the process of installation is complete, you will have to reboot your device into the system. It is possible that the first reboot may occur 2-3 times so note that this is normal and you don’t need to panic if this happens on your device.
- Once the device has rebooted successfully, your smartphone will be running LineageOS 15.1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
>> Source Link