In this article, I will explain the steps or tutorial how to install Linux Mint. Linux mint is an Operating System (OS) Linux distribution on the basis of Debian and Ubuntu. Linux Mint itself has a different look with Ubuntu, where desktop display is more user friendly for Windows users who want to migrate to Linux Mint immediately. And the most desirable thing is the use of the software on Linux Mint itself is free.
Linux Mint has 4 desktop options namely Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, KDE and Debian (the only one not based on Ubuntu) each of its advantages and disadvantages. In this tutorial I am using Linux Mint desktop Cinnamon 18.3 "Sylvia" (latest version) due to better desktop look, neat and attractive compared to other types. For other versions, you do not worry because the steps are not much different.
The interface of Linux Mint is more modern and certainly will not be foreign to Windows operating system users who want to try. Because the display of operating system is very similar to Windows. So Windows users do not worry about the use of this operating system because Windows users certainly will not find it difficult to adapt. Then, Linux Mint Cinnamon also has a very innovative feature on desktop productivity with very fast development technology.
How to install Linux Mint Cinnamon can be on single-boot or dual-boot that can co-exist with other operating systems. It's a good idea first you backup data to minimize the loss of data in case of error when selecting the memory partition option or during the installation process takes place. Before installing Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 it's good if you pay attention to the things below:
- Laptop has at least 1 GB of RAM with minimum storage space of 11 GB
- Provide a blank flash with a storage capacity of at least 2GB as a Bootable media. 19659006] If you install on a laptop, make sure your laptop battery is not exhausted while the installation process is in progress. We recommend that while charging your laptop to minimize the things that are not desirable.
- Download the software Rufus to create a bootable USB flash.
- Download the ISO file Mint Desktop Cinnamon 18.3 "Sylvia"
- Make a bootable USB flash using Rufus has been downloaded before by entering the ISO file operating Linux Mint Desktop Cinnamon 18.3.
How to Setting BIOS to Boot from Flashdisk
In the installation process of Linux Mint operating system, I use a flash as bootable media. So, first set the BIOS on your computer.
1. Insert the flash into your laptop. Restart your laptop and press on the keyboard F2 or Del (depending on the settings of each laptop to enter the BIOS).
2. Next select the tab Boot .
3. Then on Boot priority order, select your flash (usually detected brand flashdisk)> Then Save and Exit by pressing the keyboard F10
] Step 3 – select fd ” width=”670″ height=”381″ />
How to Install Linux Mint
1. After setting up the BIOS, the installation process of the Linux Mint operating system begins. Wait until loading is finished.
2. Select language to be used during the installation process, I chose English > Select Continue.
3. At this stage, you will be offered to install the software during the installation process or after completion. The process of installing the software requires a good internet connection. I recommend not installing the software if your internet connection is unstable. This is so that when the Linux Mint installation process does not have an error. Immediately click Continue without checking.
4. In the installation type, select Something else > click Continue . This something else part is useful for you who want to create your own partition to minimize another operating system (if dual boot).
5. Next go into the partition. Click New partition table to create the desired partition.
6. Then click Continue.
7. This partition will be divided into two parts: first Swap Area which is used as backup memory, and the second Root as data storage during the installation process takes place and storage after the installation process. Then click the plus icon designated by the red arrow in the image below to add the partition.
8. Fill Size as you see fit. My swap size is only 1 GB, so to specify this swap size does not need to be too big. Then select the option Primary > select Beginning of this space > Select swap area on Use as> then click OK.
9. Your swap partition has been successfully created. Then create a new partition again for Root. click the plus icon as before.
10. Contents Size (I do not change the size specified by the computer automatically)> Select Logical > Select Beginning of this space > Then select Ext4 journaling file system > Select / at Mount point> Select OK .
11. The Root partition has been successfully created. Next click Install Now.
12. Click Continue to continue the installation process.
13. Select time zone area You> Continue.
14. Select language > Click Continue.
15. Furthermore the contents of the form are available. Contents name You, computer name username and password > Click Continue .
] Step 15 – fill form and continue ” width=”670″ height=”430″ />
16. Wait until the installation is complete.
17. After the installation process is complete, restart your computer by clicking Restart Now.
18. Wait until the process of restarting your computer is complete. If dual boot, select Linux Mint on dual boot option. After entering the Linux Mint operating system, enter password that you have created earlier and press Enter.
19. The installation process of the Linux Mint operating system has succeeded done.
A few tutorials how to install Linux Mint Desktop Cinnamon 18.3 "Sylvia" on laptop. You can choose the Linux Mint desktop type to suit your needs as well as your laptop's specifications. Hopefully the installation process you did succeeded and hopefully this article useful to you.