Error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of
the gpt partition style "Usually occurs when you try to install
Windows 10/8/7 on your computer / laptop. This is one common mistake
that occurred during the Windows installation, and other similar error messages
is "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The
selected disk has an MBR partition table ". GPT and MBR are two types of hard disk partitioning schemes. MBR is
stands for Master Boot Record and GPT stands for GUID Partition
MBR is a traditional partition structure for managing disk partitions,
and is widely used by most users because of its compatibility
with most systems. The MBR contains a partition table, which is located on the block
first hard disk. The partition table stores partition information on the disk, such as
partition number, initial location, partition size, etc. In addition, the MBR includes
a small part of executable code that serves OS boot procedures.
On MBR disks you can create 4 main partitions at most.
Error Messages "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of
the gpt partition style "means the computer is set to boot in mode
The old BIOS, but the hard drive where you tried to install Windows was partitioned
as GPT. Some old motherboards support Legacy BOIS Legacy + UEFI /
CSM Boot. In Legacy BIOS, you can install the operating system only on disk
MBR, because the old BIOS does not support the modern GPT partition style. When version
The Windows that you want to install supports GPT, but the BIOS does not, so this is it
the cause of this error appears. Thus, the solution to this error is
change the GPT disk to MBR.
Here is how to fix the error "windows cannot be
installed to this disk. the selected disk is the GPT partition style ":
Solution 1: Change BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy
Your Computer / Laptop
- Enter To
BIOS by pressing the "F2 / ESC /" button to enter the BIOS.
*** Note: To enter the BIOS of each brand
laptops have different ways.
after entering the BIOS look for the Menu "Boot".
- On the Boot Mode menu press "Enter", and
then choose "Legacy".
- Press "F10", and select "Yes"
to save changes and exit BIOS.
Solution 2: Format the hard drive and convert it to MBR
- Press the Shift + F10 key when you see an error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the gpt partition style "which will open the Command Prompt. If that doesn't work, please go back to the first screen of the installation and press Shift + F10 .
- Type diskpart command in the command prompt and press Enter.
- Type the list command and press Enter.
- Type select disk # and press Enter. Replace # with the disk number that represents the hard disk with the GPT partition.
- Type clean and press Enter. This command deletes all partitions and data from the selected disk.
- Type convert mbr and press Enter. This command converts the disk to the MBR format. You can exit the Command Prompt when the message appears "DiskPart successfully converted selected disk to MBR format". And indicates the conversion process is successful and you can continue the installation process.