Definition of Norm
Etymologically, the word Norm comes from the Dutch word "Norm" which means the standard or guideline, principle, or reference. In addition, there are also some people who claim that the word norm originates from the Latin region, namely "Mos" "Mos" which means habits, codes of conduct, and customs.
In general, Understanding Norm is a rule, guideline, reference, and provision in behaving and interacting among fellow human beings in a community group in living life together. Norms can also be interpreted as rules of behavior in people's lives.
For every person or group of people who do not obey or obey the norms or rules that exist within that community group, they will be given sanctions or punishments that are in accordance with the penalties exists or applies. With other meanings, norms or rules have a force and are compelling.
Normally the norm only applies in a particular community environment, for example, such as certain ethnicities or countries. However, there are also norms that are universal and apply to all humans.
In addition to the general understanding of norms above, there are also many experts and experts who have views and opinions that differ in defines the definition of norms. As for some of the following notions of norms according to experts among others:
According to a legal expert named Bellebaum, saying that norms are a tool to be able to organize people to be able to do actions that are based on beliefs and on certain attitudes.
Norms are related to cooperation that occurs in a community group or to regulate each act or behavior in each of its members in order to achieve and uphold the values that have been believed together.
2. A. Ridwan Halim
According to an expert named A. Ridwan Halim, stated that the norm is all regulations both written and unwritten. Which means the norm is a rule that applies to as a reference or guideline that must be obeyed and obeyed by every individual in society.
3. E. Ultrecht
According to an expert named E. Ultrecht, stated that norms are a guide to life or guidelines that regulate various disciplines within a community group where the regulation is required to be obeyed and obeyed by community members. If there are those who do not comply with these regulations, they will be sanctioned by the government.
4. Bagja Waluya
According to an expert named Bagja Waluya, arguing that norms are a concrete manifestation of value which is a guideline, that which contains a necessity for each individual or society when in behaving or behaving.
5. Achmad D. Marimba
According to an expert named Achmad D. Marimba, argues that norms are rules that apply naturally in a society. However, it can change according to the agreement and agreement of a community group in a given space and time.
In general, norm functions within the community are guidelines or references for every person or member of society in behaving within the community. The following are some of the norm functions in people's lives, including:
- To regulate people's behavior or behavior in accordance with prevailing values.
- To create comfort, prosperity, and happiness in every member of the community.
- To create order, justice, and security in society.
- To help achieve common goals of society.
- To create harmony in relations between every member of the community.
- fostering a relationship between members of the community.
- To be the basis for sanctioning or punishing people or members of society who do not follow or obey the norm.
- To create an orderly and peaceful atmosphere for every member of the community.
Characteristics of Norm
[Characteristics of Norms] ” width=”600″ height=”390″/>
Besides the norm function, you can also m know the norms or rules that apply in people's lives by looking at each characteristic. The following are the characteristics of norms that exist within a community group, among others:
- Generally the norms that exist in society are not written, except legal norms.
- Has a binding nature and has sanctions or punishments
- Community members who violate norms will be given sanctions.
- Norms are based on agreement with community members.
- Every member of the community must obey or obey the norms that have been made.
- Norms can occur changes in accordance with developments in people's lives.
Besides their functions and characteristics, norms are also divided into several types. The following are some of the types of norms that exist in the community, including:
1. Religious norms
Religious norms are a norm or rule based on religion. This norm has an absolute nature that requires the necessity for those who believe it or believe it. For example, for Muslims, they are obliged to carry out everything according to what was commanded by Allah SWT such as prayer, zakat, fasting, etc. and stay away from all His prohibitions. Likewise with other religions.
For someone who does not carry out the norms of this religion, they will get sanctions in the form of sin. But this religious norm is only intended for someone who has a religion, for people who do not believe in God or are called atheists this norm will never apply.
2. Norms of Decency
Norms of decency are norms made based on human conscience, for example such as not to hurt the hearts of fellow humans, helping everyone who needs help, always telling the truth and so on. This means that the norm of decency occurs because of the sincerity and kindness of someone in behaving.
3. Courtesy Norms
Courtesy norms are norms that are based on how a person should behave so that others can accept it and not feel uncomfortable or offended by their behavior. For example, such as respecting older people, saying good and polite words, dressing politely when attending invitations, etc.
4. Habit Norms
Customary norms are norms that are made based on actions carried out repeatedly or carried out continuously and can be accepted by the community or other members.
For example, as in Java there is a 7-month or salvation event for women who are pregnant or pregnant, eat must sit, tradition of greetings or greetings in Indonesia when Lebaran arrives. Maybe in other countries do not adhere to customary norms like this, so this customary norm applies only in certain places and not all places require to carry out this norm.
5. Legal Norms
Law Norms are written norms based on the regulations in force in a country. This norm has a forced nature and there will be clear sanctions or punishments for those who violate.
For example, like people who use and distribute drugs, they will be given sanctions or punishments that are in accordance with the norms that govern them. Every country has different regulations. The rules that have been made must be adjusted to the needs and refer to the previous 4 norms.
Examples of Norms
[example] norms ” width=”600″ height=”450″/>
As for some examples of norms based on types:
1. Examples of the Norms of Religion
- May not steal
- May not commit adultery
- Do not kill
- Do not do evil and be rude to others
- Doing commands written in the scriptures
2. Examples of Norms of Decency
- Said honesty with others
- Always doing good to others
- Prohibited from stealing other people's property
- Valid and fair to all people
3. Example of courtesy norms
- Respect for older people
- Speaking good and not rude
- Not littering
- Loving younger people
- Greeting and greeting others
4 . Examples of Legal Norms
- Required by every community to pay taxes.
- Not allowed to commit a crime, such as killing.
- Not allowed to steal, and corruption.
- Every driver must obey and follow all traffic signs which exists.
5. Examples of Habit Norms
- Bathing is done every day
- Brushing teeth for fresh breath.
- Tipping servants after using their services.
- Reading prayers before and after doing activities.
- Buying souvenirs or souvenirs to friends and parents.
Thus is our discussion this time about the definition of norms, along with their functions, characteristics, types, and examples. Hopefully you can better understand and understand more about what is the norm. Hopefully this article can be useful. Thank you 🙂
Nesabamedia.com is an online media that presents interesting content about computers, internet, networks, android, websites and several other topics related to the computer world.