DBMS or abbreviation for Database Management System is an organization and processing system for databases that are on a computer. This DBMS is also a software or software which will be used to be able to build a computerized based database.
By using this DBMS or Database Management System you can be helped when you maintain and process data in an amount that is very large. The purpose of this DBMS is that there will be no more chaos and can be used by all users for all their needs.
DBMS is also an intermediary between users with databases or databases and to be able to interact with a DBMS, you must use a database language that has been determined by several companies from the DBMS itself. The languages of this database usually consist of several kinds of instructions that have been formulated, which make these instructions can be processed by a DBMS.
All commands instructed by the user, where they can process a data in the database. And there are languages that can be used in this DBMS, and are divided into two types. Here's the explanation:
1. Data Manipulation Language (DML)
Data Manipulation Language or commonly in short with DML is a DBMS language that can be used for you who want to manipulate and retrieve data in a database.
An example is like when you want to add a data new to a database, when you want to delete a data from a database and convert that data to a database. That is a common understanding of a Data Manipulation Language or commonly abbreviated as DML.
2. Data Definition Language (DDL)
The second language is Data Definition Language, or commonly abbreviated with DDL . This language is often used to describe a design from the database as a whole.
You can also use DDL to create a new table, change a table, and load an index. The results generated from this DDL compilation will be stored in the data dictionary. That is a brief understanding of a DDL or Data Definition Language.
From the Database Management System, there are lots of examples of DBMS that you can use for you to process the data you need. And the following are examples from the Database Management System.
MYSQL is a software or software from a DBMS or a Database Management System that has multi-user and multithread properties. MYSQL is also an implementation of a relational database management system or abbreviated as RDBMS. MYSQL is also a mass of data created by TcX and has been trusted to be able to manage a system that has 40 databases and contains 10,000 tables and 500 of which also have 7 million lines. The advantages of this one DBMS are:
- Can be used for free
- The development of MYSQL is also fast.
- Security used is also quite good.
- Can be used with several types of programs.
- MYSQL is also very support in terms of transactions and also get a lot of support from various communities.
- MYSQL proved to be always stable and resilient.
While the shortcomings of MYSQL are as follows:
- MYSQL still does not support Widowing Function and data that can be handled
- Although it has been supported by a variety of program languages, but in fact MYSQL still lacked connection support in Foxpro, Visual Basic, and Delphi programming languages. Because the connection can cause the read field to be the same as the connection of the programming language.
2. Microsoft SQL Server
As the name implies, Microsoft SQL Server is an example of a DBMS issued by a large Microsoft company. The main QUery language commonly used is a variant of ANSI SQL and commonly called T-SQL or Transact-SQL.
In this Microsoft SQL Server language, it allows users to create their own stored procedures, which will improve access efficiency with a database. There are also advantages of Microsoft SQL Server as follows:
- Microsoft SQL Server has very good data security.
- Microsoft SQL Server has the ability to be able to create clustering and database mirroring.
- This Microsoft SQL Server has the ability to rollback data, data recovery and back-up data.
- Microsoft SQL Server also has the ability to be able to management users and each user can be set access rights to a database by a database administrator.
Whereas the shortcomings of Microsoft SQL Server is, as follows:
- Microsoft SQL Server can only run on one operating system platform, namely Microsoft Windows.
- Microsoft SQL Server is software that has a license and the price is very expensive for the company which has a medium and small scale.
- This Microsoft SQL Server can only be implemented to one server unit, and if there is an additional server, it will only function as a standby server.
Oracle is an RDBMS or relational database management system, just like MYSQL. That which underlies Oracle can manage information in a comprehensive, integrated manner openly. This Oracle Server always provides an effective and efficient solution because of its capabilities. And here are the advantages of an Oracle:
- Oracle has a high transaction processing performance.
- Oracle has a variety of features that can satisfy the demands of flexibility of large companies and organizations.
- Oracle can also use more than one server and the process of storing the data is also very easy.
Whereas the disadvantages of Oracle are as follows:
- Oracle is always complained about because it requires a very high cost for its use and this DBMS is quite complicated.
DBMS, hopefully with this article your database needs will be resolved and your knowledge of the database or DBMS will be extensive.