Format flash is an activity that aims to empty files stored in it. This is done for various reasons such as wanting to copy a new file, removing virus etc.
The flash format in Linux is not much different from flashdisk in Windows. It's just that there are various ways of formatting that you can do. You can use your own way depending on your understanding of which is easy.
In this discussion I will use two of the most common and easy-to-use way to format flash in Linux, that is the format flash manually and via terminal. The type of Linux that I use here is Ubuntu 16.04 desktop version.
How to Format Flashd in Ubuntu Linux
1. Manual Flashdisk format
The format flash manually here I use is the most frequently used by the user. The steps are as follows.
1. Open file explorer or your directory. Click on flash that you want formatted for whether flasdisk you read, what is it, and are you sure to format it
2. After that, right click on your flash device as shown in the picture. Click Format to empty flash You.
3. There are further options ( Erase Type and Format ) which you can customize to your needs on this Volume Format. You can follow the default option as shown.
- In Erase I select ' Dont overwrite existing data (Quick )' field. This option makes the formatting process faster
- For Type here I select the FAT format but you can choose another like NTFS.
- Then write the new name for device flash You are on Name .
- field, click Format .
4. After that, a confirmation will appear again to make sure you format the flash correctly. At this stage a device of your flashdisk will be shown as shown by the arrow in the image. As for flash which I format is branded hp and capacity 16GB. Click the Format button to start the format process flash .
5. Format flash You have succeeded. You can check it by reopening your flashdisk directory and see that flash is empty.
2. Format flash via Terminal
In addition to manual, you can format flash via terminal. How to? Follow the steps below
1. First, you can check your flash content first to make sure you format it. Here, the name flash I am My FD .
2. Open your terminal. You can use shortcut by pressing the Ctrl + Alt + T on keyboard . Type command:
sudo fdisk -l
The above command aims to find out your flash address. On the command use the word sudo where the terminal will ask for input password you first. Enter your password then the terminal will appear on the device specified on your computer.
As for device connected ie flash which we will format. You can assure device that is flash you by observing its Size. In the example image above is written 15.1 G, it means flash which will format me loaded as much as 15.1 GB. Then, remember the address. The address is listed in Device field, where the above picture is written / dev / sdb1 .
3. Next, use the flash address we have previously known to run the umount command. This command aims to release pendrive that is being linked. Flashdisk that is being linked you can see on file explorer where in the name flash there is an arrow button like the image below.
Use the command below to release your flash sudo umount / dev / sdb1
4. Next, you can type the command like below to format flash .
sudo mkfs.vfat / dev / sdb1
On the command there is the word ' vfat ' where FAT states format flash after it is formatted. You can replace it with ntfs, hfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, and others based on your needs.
5. Finally, flash You successfully formatted. To check it please open file explorer you and prove flash you are empty
Before formatting flash make sure there is not important file to be deleted. Back up previous data if you are worried about losing your file . That's how to format flash on Ubuntu Linux easily. Please respond to the comment field below. Thank you.