Maybe you have heard or often heard the word debate, but maybe you don't understand what the debate really is? Debate is an activity carried out to test arguments given between individuals or groups.
Debates aim to obtain victory over arguments which are given to support something that is intended to be carried out or enforced.
Based on KBBI (Dictionary Great Indonesian Language), the notion of debate is the discussion and exchange of opinions about a matter by giving each other reasons to be able to maintain their opinions – each. Debate activities can be carried out at any level, such as at school, campus, regional election debates or presidential candidate debates.
After learning a number of explanations above, there are several elements in debate. The following are some elements of the debate, namely:
1. Affirmative Team or Pro Party
The first element of debate is an affirmative team or a pro party. The purpose of an affirmative team or a pro party is a team that agrees with things that are debated or motions, with another meaning the affirmative team is a team that is pro on the theme or topic discussed. And the affirmative team or the pro party will explain in detail about the reasons that agree with the motion or topic discussed.
When conducting a debate, there must be a debate in the debate. What is a motion? Motion is a topic or thing that is debated by the debate participants. Motion is very important in a debate, because in it there will be pro parties and there are also parties who are contra.
3. Neutral Team
After all there must be an affirmative team and a negative team, in the debate there must also be a neutral team or parties in the middle. The purpose of a neutral team is a team that does not give support and is not too inclined to one side, with another meaning this party must be neutral.
4. Negative Team or Counter or Opposition Party
Another element of the debate besides the affirmative team, in the debate there must also be a negative team that becomes the opponent of the affirmative team. The purpose of a negative team is a team that opposes a motion or a team that disagrees with the topic being debated. Negative teams are usually also called counter parties or opposition. Counter parties will later give a rebuttal to the statement given by the affirmative.
5. Debate Participants
The debating element that must be debated is the debate participants. On several occasions, debate participants had the right to determine the final decision with the debate juries using the voting or voting process.
The next element of the debate is that there must be a writer. What is the job of the writer in the debate? A writer in the debate has the task of recording and writing conclusions from the debate.
The next element of the debate is the moderator. What is a moderator? Moderators in the debate are those who help and lead the course of the debate, from reading the order of the debate, asking questions, and also mediating the arguments of the debate participants.
Characteristics of Debates
Besides having the elements in it, the debate also has several characteristics. The following are some of the characteristics of the debate, namely:
- Conclusions or final results of the course of a debate are obtained by means of voting or from the decisions of the debate juries.
- Debates have parties who direct the course of a debate. People who carry out this task are usually referred to as moderators.
- In the debate there is an activity that collides with each other in order to win one party.
- It only has two perspectives namely pros and cons.
- In one session usually there is a question and answer activity between parties who are debating led by a moderator.
- Having a process in order to maintain mutual argument between the two parties who are conducting the debate (the pros and cons).
Purpose of Debate
Besides having elements and characteristics, debate also had a purpose. The following are some of the objectives of the debate, namely:
- Can train to break the opinions of others or debate opponents.
- Can train courage and mentality in expressing opinions in public or in front of many people.
- Can train yourself in being critical
- Can train oneself in establishing an understanding of the concepts of debated material.
- Can improve ability in responding to or facing a problem.
Types of Debate
Debates also have several types. The following are several types of debates, namely:
1. Parliamentary Debate or Assembly Debate ( A ssembly or Parliamentary Debating )
Parliamentary debates are debates which aim to provide and increase support for certain laws and all members who want to express their opinions and views . Parliamentary debates are characteristic of the legislature.
2. Debate Examination Debate (C Ross – Examination Debating )
Repeat examination debates are debates that aim to be able to ask several questions one and the other are closely related, which makes the individuals asked to support positions that want to be strengthened and enforced by the questioner. The re-examination debate is also a technique commonly developed by court offices.
3. Formal Debate, Conventional Debate, or Educational Debate (F orally, Conventional, or Education Debating )
Formal debates are debates that aim to provide opportunities for two speaker teams to express their opinions to listeners with a number of supporting arguments or arguments that refute a proposal. Formal debate is usually a politically shared debate debate.
Our discussion this time is about the elements of the debate, along with the characteristics of the debate, objectives, and also the function of the debate. Hopefully this article can be useful. Thank you ?
The rain lover and coffee connoisseur who likes to sit in a daydream while fantasizing about his dreams that will come true.